History of the Church

The construction of St. Luke's, designed by W. V. Arnold, began in 1887, proceeding in stages before the church was destroyed by a fire in 1920.

Most of the current building dates from 1927, although it incorporates elements of the earlier building. 

Construction of a church on this site was commenced 1887. Work proceeded in stages but the building was largely destroyed by fire in 1920. The present church dates largely from 1927 (although it incorporates elements of the earlier building. It was built to the designs of W. D. Caroe, a noted ecclesiastical architect.

The building was Grade II listed in 1976. 

St. Luke's is home to a memorial for each World War. The first, produced by Trulove and Hanson Co, was unveiled in November 1921. It was dedicated by Rev W P G McCormick - a chaplain to the forces during the 1st World War. The list of all 206 names is recorded by the Imperial War Museum here.